Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wants-vs-Needs and Love For The Landlord

When I started this blog, I was deliberate in my intentions.  My goals are simple, but they are outrageous given these economic times.  I am upfront and honest and will continue to be.  If nothing else, friends and relatives are offering vast emotional support for Kari & Barry.  Kari & Barry are touched by many generous monetary donations that have poured in via Chip In this week. I think it is very important for everyone to understand that housing, transportation, and an over the top bed are really NEEDS in my Opinion, not Wants or fanciful wishes. 

Today I learned that I may have offended Kari & Barry's landlord, and for that I am truly sorry.  I have great love for someone who allows a tenant to modify entry ways without batting an eyelash.  Kari & Barry truly have a good landlord.  I am sure he would likely let them out of a lease if we are so blessed to find them another living arrangement.  Kari & Barry are good people who honor their words and fulfil their contracts and their lease is no exception.  Kari's apartment is safe and well kept, it is just not safe for her. 

My intention was never to make her landlord feel bad.  We can't ask him to rearrange the apartment into a single level configuration.  That is beyond his control.  Likewise, it is next to impossible to find housing when you can't go looking for it.  Renting in a small town like Malone is easy- word of mouth would likely find us something safe and reasonable, but downstate is another ball of wax.  My hope is that someone downstate can help us locate a safe rental (To rent until Regis & Kelly award them a dream home- I have faith that it will happen).  Safe in this context means safe for Kari.  Her current apartment is safe for the rest of us, just not for her.  Kari needs an open floor plan, single story apartment with 2 bedrooms.  A bathtub or large shower stall to allow her to use a shower chair.  Kari needs a place that has very few stairs and hopefully none at all.  She has a long recovery ahead of her.  I hope that we can all network and spread their story with the hope that we can find them a rental that will meet their needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment